Wednesday, May 02, 2007

NBCC Stages a Rally in Atlanta, "Night at the Museum" was Worse Than I Anticipated, and Another Drawing From the Archives

Tomorrow at 10 a.m. in front of the Atlanta Journal & Constitution building in downtown Atlanta, the National Book Critics Circle is holding a "read-in". The AJC's book editor, Teresa Weaver, was recently fired because the paper was essentially eliminating original book reporting, deciding to rely instead on wire reports and the reporting of larger newspapers. I agree with the NBCC. This is no good. The few times I pick up that awful newspaper and found something worthwhile, it was usually some bit of original AJC book reporting edited by Weaver. So for a few minutes there, I was thinking, "I should just go down there. Show my support. What the hell else have I got to do tomorrow morning?"

On the other hand, I don't read the Atlanta Journal and Constitution. I don't think it's a very good newspaper. Even if they reinstall Weaver and renew their commitment to book reviews and author profiles and whatever else, I have no intention of buying a subscription. So, with all that said, wouldn't it be less than forthright on my part to go down there and quietly demand (via "read-in") the AJC reallocate their resources to a robust book section when I don't do any business with the AJC and have no plans to do so in the future? It just feels hypocritical.

The point is moot anyhow. The wife reminds me we have someone who saw our ad on Craig's List coming by to look at some stuff tomorrow at 11 a.m.

Anyway. I rented "Night at the Museum" the other night, mostly to see what the hubbub was all about. This movie's about 99.8% for kids. I know most of you already knew that, but I was expecting a slightly more favorable ratio. Goofy, pointless, not fun, and the kid who plays Ben Stiller's son reminded me less of an actual kid than the creepy "children" in "The Polar Express". "Night at the Museum"'s $250 million domestic gross is even more staggering now that I've seen exactly what everyone went to see during the 2006 holiday season.

And finally, I was looking through my "artwork" folder, and realized a drawing I'm proud of hadn't ever made it up onto the blog. A quick search of this blog for the word "Wright" confirmed my suspicion. So here it is:


















I drew this as a gift for my father Christmas before last. Thought it came out pretty well.

That's all I got for today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a nice drawing. They look very serious and not at all concerned that there's a plane behind them headed their way. I'm assuming that since they built the thing, they know how far it will fly and that they're reasonably safe from the threat of decapitation. Is your dad an airplane junkie or something? Just curious.

Anyway, speaking of goofy kids did you know that Andy Milonakis is 31 years old??? I had no idea. I thought he was twelve. He's like the new Vinnie Delpino.

blankfist said...

"wouldn't it be less than forthright on my part to go down there and quietly demand... [they] reallocate their resources to a robust book section when I don't do any business with the AJC and have no plans to do so in the future?

That, or just laziness. Great picture. You are the king os hash-shading. You are king in that world. That is your world. You own it, man. You own it. Blinkey for life. By the way, did you get my email about the Penn & Teller show? Was really awesome. It was about immigration, and how our push to stop it is... well, bullshit! I love that show.

Yes, Andy Milonakis is old.

Anonymous said...

Like the drawing.