Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Drawin' People Right's Hard. Here's a Case In Point.

I drew this two nights ago. It benefits from reduction, believe me. After I'd drawn it, I could tell there was something very wrong with it: the girl in the drawing and the girl in the photo were obviously two different people. So, last night, I returned to the drawing, erased her eyes (because that was the problem area) and redrew them. By doing so, other things got screwed up. Nothing so drastic as to make me think I'd drawn some new, only vaguely humanoid species, but enough to make me think I was never going to get the woman's face right. Anyway, I cleaned it up, changed her jawline, moved her nose a little to the left, lifted her smile, reshaded in places -- generally got it as close as I could to the photo, and this is the result. I know -- still two different people. Oh well. Practice makes perfect I guess. Just needs a serious tweaking, but I can't figure out where or how. Waah.
I could go on, but even I know this drawing isn't worth all of this deconstruction. So let's move on.

In other news: School of Filmmaking alumni Jody Hill (1999), who graduated, as I did, with a concentration in screenwriting, will have a film premiering at the Sundance film festival this year. It will be non-competition entry featured as a midnight screening -- a lot of big films have gotten their start as midnight screenings at Sundance (Blair Witch Project, Super Troopers, Hard 8, Haute Tension, etc.) and then gone on to either big business, or their filmmakers to important careers. So way to go, Jody. There is hope for all of us.

That's it for today.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

She must smell bad. She has no nose.

Anonymous said...

It's the bitch's own fault for wearing that stupid hat. She might have been cute, but that hat makes me think that she clubs baby seals. She has no nose because the smell of baby seal flesh fills her with shame.

Crane, do not be troubled. Your sketch is just like the Magic Mirror Gate in The Never Ending Story - showing this blackhearted harpie the soulless monster she is on the inside.

Fuck you, hat chick!

(Sorry about the naughty words. I forgot that this is a family blog)

blankfist said...

How does one follow after a post like that? I mean, really? Oh well... I like how you sound as if you're a plastic surgeon describing how you "fixed" some girl's face by lifting her smile, etc. The drawing is cool. None too bad. Harwell could do better, but you know (I just shrugged for effect)? We all cannot be Harwell. Thank you sweet baby jesus, in his name I pray. Amen.

Notice: when I have nothing to say, I always retreat to randomness.

Anonymous said...

Mike's right, he forgot.

Miller Sturtevant said...

I agree, Mike -- it's the baby seal-clubbing girl's fault. Not mine.

And Heath: when are you going to update your blog? Is it truly dead? Dead like Shawn's? Is there hope for it still?

blankfist said...

I've just been too damn busy to update it. Some of us have jobs, Crane. Some of us aren't diving in front of moving cars in the hopes that one of them will be Ben Affleck so we can sue for millions. Grow up, dude, get a job. And I mean a real job, Crane, because I can already hear you mumbling "I've got a job, it's temp work filing paperwork..."

A REAL JOB! One like mine, where you are chained to a desk for eight hours. It's soooooo much fun. Oh wait, here comes Ben's Bentley. Vrroooooommm... BOOM! "I'm rich!"

Miller Sturtevant said...

Way to bring the hammer down, dude.

blankfist said...

BOOOOM! Now seriously, stop wasting time with this artsy-fartsty stuff and get a real job. Seriously, it's embarassing. [blank stare]

Seeking Completion said...

you know what it is, you made her face fatter. her jaw line is like a diagonal and you rounded it... otherwise its the same chick...

candybar sucks!

Shannon said...

Warning: Brian's drawing will add 20 pounds that the camera didn't.