Thursday, March 23, 2006

Sam Jackson Will Do Any Movie You Offer Him. Is He the New Chistopher Walken?

Anyone been reading about Snakes on a Plane, the upcoming New Line film starring Samuel L. Jackson? CNN.com's running a pretty hilarious article about the whole internet phenomenon that's rising up around the movie, and all the hubbub is percolating without the kind of corporate marketing techniques the studios spend so much money on to promote their often middling product. One interesting paragraph in that article is about a fairly popular audio trailer a guy named Chris Rohan put together. On it, Rohan has a Sam Jackson sound-alike saying, "I want these motherf**king snakes off this mother f**king plane!" The growing fan base loved the line and now New Line is doing $5 million in reshoots to not just take the current cut, which is PG-13, to a hard R by adding more violence, more snakes, and nudity, but to add that line specifically. This is just one more bit of evidence that the things people say in the talkback sections of these movie sites are often taken very seriously by the movie studios. They will do whatever they can to get people excited enough about a movie to come out and see it on that opening weekend. Amazing. It's a pretty interesting article, and not too many typos, which is weird for CNN.com.

5 comments:

blankfist said...

It's a pretty interesting blog, and not too many typos, which is weird for Crane.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for SNAKES ON A PLANE being a good time. My problem is that I'm so cynical toward anything remotely campy, that I can't help but suspect it will be one of those movies that a contingent of people think it's so bad it's good, while the rest of us just think it's so bad.

ANACONDAS, SHOWGIRLS, CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK (wink), and any number of movies in Joe Corey's library come to mind.

I'll give New Line credit though: anytime you can make a movie that people expect to be horrible and STILL get excited about seeing, you're doing something very right.

Or something very sad. I can't decide. I'm torn, like what's-her-face.

blankfist said...

Natalie Imbruglia.

Clay McClane said...

Yeah, Harwell. It's kind of like... no one expects good movies, so if a movie looks seriously, extraordinarily bad, THAT'S exciting.

Captain Mike said...

I read in the NCSA Alumni Callboard thing that some kid (I'm assuming that he's a kid) who graduated less than a year ago just sold a script for $250,000. I can't even get more than 2 of you guys to comment on my blog. I mean, shit! My writing may not be worth a quarter mil, but it's good for a few chuckles!

I know, I know...Desperation is a stinky cologne.