Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A Taste of What I'm Doing on Tuesday, the 18th of October, 2005


Today, I am working on the book. I am going through Chapter 11 right now, revising and rewriting, improving (hopefully) as well as cutting some of the bloat out of it. The first page of Chapter 11 is pictured to the left, complete with my mostly useless revisions. There are two more chapters after this one in the first half of the book. Note to those who bother to read the sample page: The first two lines, the ones in bold just below ELEVEN, are just for me; they let me know where in the book's timeline I'm at so I don't have to go back into the text to investigate each time I have a chronology question. Just a fun tidbit.

Also, I may be going to see Barbara Ehrenreich at the Margaret Mitchell House here in Atlanta tonight. She is the author of the bestselling, Nickel and Dimed, which is an example of "immersion journalism" about her experiences trying to live on minimum-wage in this country. Turns out it is impossible. She's got a new book and I'm hoping she'll be an interesting speaker. I'll let you know how it went tomorrow. Back to "writing".

6 comments:

blankfist said...

Here, let me be a pal and help you trim this stuff up. Here's how the page should read:

Paul stood looking down at his polished knob that marked the encounter he an Lee had moments earlier. Oh yeah, and there were some graves there, too, with some Ted and Annette something or another etched on them. Given their obvious wealth Paul expected to find some garish monument or towering erect tombstone. He let out a breath he'd been holding and it came like a long, wet sigh. Lee would probably already have a theory brewing somewhere between his zipper and the throb beneath.

Neither of them had visited the Riley's grave before. Lee was furious. Though he'd been told by Paul they'd done so to kill two birds with one stone.

Fade out.


See?! Perfect sense!

blankfist said...

Of course I know that novels don't have fade outs, dude, come on... [nervous laugh]...

seriously...

fade out.

blankfist said...

http://www.rageagainsttheright.com/becomerepublican.swf

blankfist said...

finish that out with: "becomerepublican.swf"

The blog cuts my post.

Anonymous said...

the blog actually hates you

Anonymous said...

This one page should be sent to a publisher.. it will get them interested.. finish the book.